Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Interview with Barbara Bretton





Today, I have author Barbara Bretton on the blog for an interview! Please help me give a warm welcome to Barbara. 

One lucky commenter will win a signed copy of one of Just Desserts. This contest is open to US only. Please leave your comment and an email address, otherwise your entry won't count. 



Tell me about yourself, and your writing.
I'm one of those very lucky human beings who is living her dream. As a child I dreamed about being a writer and I made that dream come true. It doesn't get any better than that.
How long have you been writing? How many published books do you have, and what genres?
I've been writing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I was first published as a child in Katy Keene the Fashion Queen comic books and never looked back. At last count I've published around fifty books.
Do you write in multiple genres or just one? If just one, do you ever consider straying outside your genre?
I've written many romances, women's fiction, a few historicals, some time travels, even a quartet of paranormal knitting romances. A good story is a good story. I go where my characters take me.
Are you a plotter or do you write from the seat of your pants?
Oh, seat of my pants! Definitely seat of my pants. I wrote my first ten books from highly-detailed outlines and thoroughly enjoyed the process. But something happened to me with book number eleven. I set out on a journey without a road map and had so much fun I was surprised I wasn't arrested. Ever since then I've been flying by the seat of my writing pants and loving every second.
What is a typical writing day like for you?
I don't have a typical writing day which is why I love being a writer. I hate schedules. I hate knowing I have to be in a certain place at a certain time. I guess I like to live by the seat of my pants too!
Who do you love to read? Favorite authors, favorite books?
How much time do you have? Maeve Binchy. Sue Grafton. Robert B. Parker. Lawrence Block. Adriana Trigiani. Madeleine Wickham. Barbara Delinsky. Bertrice Small. Sandra Marton. Dallas Schulze. The list goes on...
What is something you'd like to accomplish in your writing career next year?
Write better, write more.
If you could have one paranormal ability, what would it be?
Invisibility.
If you could keep a mythical/ paranormal creature as a pet, what would you have?
Unicorn. No question.
Tell us a little about your latest release.
Love can happen anywhere . . .
Even in New Jersey!
A beautiful morning in early spring. What could possibly go wrong?

Just returned from a buying trip in England, Kate French was jet-lagged and exhausted and running on fumes. She was already running late for an appointment but a wave of dizziness forced her to pull into the shopping mall parking lot in search of a quick fix of caffeine and protein.

When the pain first hit, she ignored it and continued racing across the parking lot toward the food court. But within moments she realized something was terribly wrong as her wobbly legs gave out and she dropped to the ground. The last thing she remembered as she started to fade away was the guy in the Grateful Dead T-shirt who held her in his arms and promised he'd never let her go.

Mark Kerry didn't think of himself as a hero but the story of a Good Samaritan who had saved a woman's life in the parking lot of the Princeton Promenade was attaining the status of suburban legend. Determined to return a stack of documents that had been left behind when the ambulance swept her away, he called in some favors and tracked her down at home one week later.

The moment Kate saw him again, the world and everyone in it disappeared. She knew his voice, the smell of his skin, the way his hands felt against her skin, the taste of his mouth, everything that mattered. All the things she would ever need to know about him.

And then she took another look . . .


What is something that you absolutely can't live without? (Other than family members)
My iPad. (I can't believe I've become one of those iPad crazy people, but I have.)
Could you ever co-author a book with someone? If so, who would you choose, and what would you write?
I don't play well with others. I don't know how on earth authors collaborate on fiction.
If you could spend a day with anyone from history, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you do? What would you ask them?
John and Abigail Adams. I'd probably be too awestruck to speak. My idea of heaven? Dinner with the Founding Fathers and their spouses. I wonder what they'd think of our modern world.
What are some of your other hobbies outside of writing?
I'm an obsessed knitter.
If you were on the staff to have a book adapted to movie, what would you pick?
I wish they'd get the Stephanie Plum books right. I long for a good Plum movie.
What is a talent you wish you had, but don't?
I don't have an iota of musical talent of any kind. Can't sing. Can't dance. But if I could I'd be auditioning for a job as one of The Temptations.
Favorite color?
Sunny yellow

Weather: Hot or cold?
The colder, the better.
Favorite place to read?
Bed, propped up with lots of pillows and a pot of tea at my side.
Favorite meal
Anything Sichuan.
Favorite non-alcoholic drink.
Chocolate egg cream
If you could travel anywhere and do anything, no limits or money holding you back, where would you go?
I would take an around-the-world cruise on the QEII.



Just Like Heaven
Barbara Bretton

Genre: Contemporary romance/women's fiction

Publisher: Free Spirit Press
previously published in print by Berkley



Number of pages: 320    

Word Count: Approximately 90K

Book Description:

Because love can happen anywhere . . .

Even in New Jersey!

A beautiful morning in early spring. What could possibly go wrong?

Just returned from a buying trip in England, Kate French was jet-lagged and exhausted and running on fumes. She was already running late for an appointment but a wave of dizziness forced her to pull into the shopping mall parking lot in search of a quick fix of caffeine and protein.

When the pain first hit, she ignored it and continued racing across the parking lot toward the food court. But within moments she realized something was terribly wrong as her wobbly legs gave out and she dropped to the ground. The last thing she remembered as she started to fade away was the guy in the Grateful Dead T-shirt who held her in his arms and promised he'd never let her go.

Mark Kerry didn't think of himself as a hero but the story of a Good Samaritan who had saved a woman's life in the parking lot of the Princeton Promenade was attaining the status of suburban legend. Determined to return a stack of documents that had been left behind when the ambulance swept her away, he called in some favors and tracked her down at home one week later.

The moment Kate saw him again, the world and everyone in it disappeared. She knew his voice, the smell of his skin, the way his hands felt against her skin, the taste of his mouth, everything that mattered. All the things she would ever need to know about him.

And then she took another look . . .

PRAISE FOR JUST LIKE HEAVEN

*TOP PICK!*
Bretton's lyrical writing enthralls from the first page as she immerses readers in a tale of romance and new beginnings. --Romantic Times
Bretton has few peers among contemporary romance novelists when it comes to combining escapist romance with everyday, messy reality. She’ll make you believe that love can happen anywhere – or make you grateful that you’ve been fortunate enough to find it. --Susan Scribner, The Romance Reader
This one will keep you reading past your bedtime. --Elizabeth Darrach, BellaOnline

*STARRED REVIEW*
Very few romance writers create characters as well developed and realistic as Bretton's. Her books pull you in and don't let you leave until the last word is read. --Shelley Mosley, Booklist







1 comment: