Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: The Chief's Proposal

Title: The Chief's Proposal

Author: Sandra Dailey

Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Genre: Contemporary romance

Heat Level: Spicy

Length: 202 pages

Reviewer: Nikki

Review Rating: 4.5 LIGHTNING BOLTS

Blurb: Ginny Dearing has finally realized her goal of teaching, but finding a position is proving impossible. After exhausting all possibilities, an Internet ad is her only hope. In a small town hundreds of miles away there is a job with one huge string attached...a husband.
Burned by love once, Brett Silverfeather finds his bachelor life more than satisfying. He’s facing re-election for sheriff, but this time the voters are looking for a family man. Brett finds himself pursuing a marriage he doesn’t want.
Ginny and Brett are opposite in every way, but opposites do attract. Can Brett protect his heart as well as he does his town? Can Ginny hide a secret past that could possibly destroy her future?


Review: Do you ever get so lost in a book you don't realize what time it is?  I just had this experience with The Chief's Propsal.  To be honest, while the first few chapters were engaging enough, I struggled through some of it due to the fact that theere was a lot of back story and flashbacks, it jarred me out of the story.  There's also a bit of head hopping. One minute we're in one character's head and the next we're in the other character's mind.

But this story captivated me so much, I looked past that and needed to read more, and more and...suddenly I'm finished with the book! It's been quite some time since I've read a book in one sitting.

The premise of starting over, getting that desired job and meeting your fiance for the first time....Yes. That's right. How do you have a finace when you haven't even met him? It's a little strange, but Ginny has overcome many obstacles to achieve her dream of becoming a teacher. So much that she moved from the norothern part of the country to the south and has taken up the opporunity for teaching, along with becoming a wife to a man she's never met.

Strange, right? Brett has his reasons for needing a wife, and it was certainly a long shot. The tension between Ginny and Brett is evedent from the start. He's a sterm, serious man with plenty of rules. Every woman wants to be with him, and most of the men that aren't his family aren't too sure of him. I know my impression of Brett at first wasn't the best. I thought he acted a little rude towards his soon to be wife. Yes, Brett is gruff and not an open person, but boy, when the story goes further in, I loved the new side to Brett. Ginny helped him grow and bloom li ke a wildflower. He has a soft side, a joking side and when he loves, he loves with all of his heart and doesn't easily give it away.  Ginny has a strong backbone and she's not afraid to let others know just how she's feeling. She's hard a hell of a life but she doesn't allow it to get the better of her. She's a strong woman, though at times vulnerable and emotional.

The mishaps keep on coming. Brett and Ginny are trying to adjust to their lives together, and some of the townsfolk aren't qutie as warm and welcoming.  The book refers to a few dark parts in Ginny's past, but overall this is a moving, engaging and riveting read that I couldn't tear my eyes away from. I loved Ginny and Brett's story, and their path to love had me smiling, laughing, and shedding a few tears from time to time. The author's writing style and voice is great!   I loved the southern feel of the story and how Brett's family and friends look out for one another.  There's a lot of different things going on with the plot but are all wrapped up in the end.

I highly recommend this story. But if I were you, set aside plenty of time, because if you're like me, you won't want to stop once you start. I look forward to more stories from Sandra Dailey.


The Wild Rose Press

Barnes & Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment