Saturday, November 17, 2012

Guest Blogger Renee Charles


Write what you know, sitting in my setting


I love writing. I love having my way with the English language, bending it to my whim. Making things up and twisting them to do my biding. But, the one thing I do not fabricate is my setting. The setting rules the tempo, rhythm and tone of my writing. Romance is, after all, a teasing and peaking of the senses. Therefore, setting should affect every sense. Sights, sounds, smells even mood are all dictated by setting. I stick to what is real because I have touched and smelled it. I believe that kind of familiarity comes through in the writing, and has the power to pick the reader up and deposit them smack dab in the middle of the story along with the characters.

Changes in Autumn takes place in a sun dappled forest in Elbe, a town that truly exists in Washington State. The town itself is small, boasting a burger joint that only takes cash, a general market that sells every piece of outdoor gear you could want except a metal coffeepot, and a hotel solely comprised of a collection of boxcars.  But North of that there is a mountain full of logging roads and a playground of forest to explore. I’ve camped there and sitting in the woods cooking smores over our fire listening to the night sounds has spurred the imagination once or twice. That part is real. The clearing with the log cabins and pond are my additions.  Having a real setting makes the descriptions come alive giving the author a creative base to build on.  (Think Forks.)

Will admit this is limiting considering I’ve never left the West Coast, but with so many interesting places to see between Canada and Mexico, I have a sound foundation to build on and a legitimate claim to my husband for the need to see the world and expand my writing horizons.




BLURB: Ex-animal control officer, Autumn Reynolds always had a soft spot for injured animals. So when one shows up on her porch with a gunshot wound, she has no choice but to help it. But she gets caught in the maelstrom when the injured wolf turns out to be a hot werewolf and the shooter comes back to finish the job. Now she's going to become a wolf, or die trying. Fortunately, she now has her own Alpha-male who owes her one. However, Autumn fears if she does survive, she might lose her heart in the process.
Conner Grayson owes the beautiful woman his life and feels obligated to help her through her first change. Though he recognizes her as his mate, as her Alpha, he won’t deny Autumn the right to choose once she becomes a wolf. That is, if he can resist the overwhelming need to claim her as his own.







The Wild Rose Press

Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

  1. I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada and I also use descriptions from my surroundings in my books. My books take place in Vancouver B.C--a place I know well.

    Love your blurb and your cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree settings are very important - the lake itself in "Silver Lake" is fictional, but the rest of the setting is very real, and I visited the area a few times and took pictures and notes. The payoff is that readers are saying they feel like they are there! I love your description of Elbe, sounds magical :)

    ReplyDelete