Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Interview with Shonell Bacon



Happy Wednesday, my friends and readers! Today I'm interviewing Shonell Bacon, author of Into The Web, which by the way, sounds like an intriguing book!


Hi Shonell, welcome to Storm Goddess Book Reviews & More. I'm so glad to have you with us today!



First off, tell me about yourself, and your writing.
Let’s see. About me. I’m a doctoral candidate, an author, an editor, an educator, an aspiring screenwriter ... an everywoman. I find that I like to dabble in a little of EVERYTHING. As for my writing, in one word, I can say LIFE. It really is a lifeline too me. In writing, I can talk about the things that scare me, that anger me, that humor me, that make me feel loved and protected and thankful.


How long have you been writing? How many published books do you have, and what genres?
Well, I thought I wanted to be a writer when I was ten. Earlier works were stories I wouldn’t let my enemy read. LOL I have several books out, two from the early 2000s that I wrote with a co-author; I would label those contemporary African-American fiction. Recently, I have published two additional novels, both in my Double Inkwell mystery series, Death at the Double Inkwell, and my latest, Into the Web. I have a few short stories in anthologies and collections, their genres ranging from literary fiction to erotic fiction.


Do you write in multiple genres or just one? If just one, do you ever consider straying outside your genre?
I’m pretty eclectic in what I choose to write about and don’t often go by genres. I write about life. If a genre fits in that, great. Right now, I love the mystery genre, but that doesn’t mean I’ll stay in there for long. Upcoming books will be crime fiction/women’s fiction and Christian fiction.


Are you a plotter or do you write from the seat of your pants?
Definitely a plotter. Some people find it constricting, but with me, rules help me to know where I can break out in a story.


What is a typical writing day like for you?
I really don’t have a typical writing day. I don’t write every day, so depending on what’s going on around me, my actual sitting down to write can be different one moment to the next. There is usually some sexy coffee on hand, either music (to set the mood) or some television in the background (I like noise when I work). There is usually a set time to my writing, too. I like doing one-hour writing jags. I may write for three or four hours at a stretch, but each hour is a jag, and I take a few minutes to decompress, skim through what I wrote, perhaps grab a snack, and go in for another hour.


Who do you love to read? Favorite authors, favorite books?
Definitely have favorite authors: all writers should! Favorites include Bernice McFadden, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Virginia Woolf, and Toni Morrison. Favorite books include Sugar by Bernice McFadden, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, Beloved by Toni Morrison, The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien and Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer.




What is something you'd like to accomplish in your writing career next year?
Write more! I’ve been mostly focused on my Ph.D. work for the last few years, but I do want to write more and publish more.


If you could have one paranormal ability, what would it be?
Oooh, paranormal, eh? I think bi-location, the ability to be in two places at once. Lord knows with all I do, it would be great to send another me somewhere to get things done!


If you could keep a mythical/ paranormal creature as a pet, what would you have?
Probably a griffin. I read that it was considered the protector of the divine.


Tell us a little about your latest release.
My latest release is Into the Web. It follows twins and mystery novelists Jovan and Cheyenne Parham as they pick up the pieces of their lives following all the craziness from the first book, Death at the Double Inkwell. This go around, the twins find themselves connected the kidnappings and murders of young girls who are lured off a popular social networking site to their demise. While the twins work to solve the case, their relationships with their men are also put to the test.


What is something that you absolutely can't live without? (Other than family members)
God.


Could you ever coauthor a book with someone? If so, who would you choose, and what would you write?
I have co-authored books in the past and enjoyed it. I might, in the future, do it again, but I would have to be seriously finagled into it. It’s a lot of work, and it’s work enough just getting me to write to and work through my emotions as I write.


If you could spend a day with anyone from history, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you do? What would you ask them?
Probably Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. After I wiped the tears from his eyes from him seeing how insane this world is today, we’d go to some place comforting like a quiet, beautiful beach with the bluest waters, and I would pick his brain on what we might be able to do to fix this country.


What are some of your other hobbies outside of writing?
I love singing and dancing. I love to read. I’m a big fan of going to cafes and people watch. LOVE spending time with my family because they, as crazy as they are, keep me focused. I also love playing in virtual worlds like Second Life and developing machinima in those worlds.


If you were on the staff to have a book adapted to movie, what would you pick?
One of my stories, Death at the Double Inkwell. A reader recently told me that if Murder, She Wrote and Lifetime movies had a book, it would be Death, so why not make the book a movie?

What is a talent you wish you had, but don't? 
Not to worry.


Favorite color?
Three-way tie for blue, green, and brown.


Weather: Hot or cold?
Definitely cold. As I tell people, it is against the law to be out and about naked during the summertime; however, when it’s cold, there is no law that says I can’t wear all my socks, clothes, and coats!


Favorite place to read?
On the sofa, curled up.


Favorite meal?
Fried chicken, broccoli, and macaroni and cheese.


Favorite non-alcoholic drink.
Coffee. Specifically, chocolate-caramel latte.


If you could travel anywhere and do anything, no limits or money holding you back, where would you go?
Funny because it’s no place extravagant. Maine. Since I was young, I wanted to go there and fish in the morning and write the day away.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, Shonell. Good luck on your writing career!


Website



1 comment: