Thursday, October 31, 2013

Q&A With Julie Farley







Tell me about yourself, and your writing.

I’m a mom, writer, teacher and wife…usually in that order.  I have four kids – a 14-year-old boy, 9-year-old girl, and 6-year-old girl/boy twins.  My kids provide me with tons of material for my writing and as you can imagine, I spend a great deal of time doing things with and for them.  My kids and husband are so supportive of my writing. 

How long have you been writing? How many published books do you have, and what genres?

I have been writing since I was in elementary school.  As an adult, I have taken quite a few writing classes and finally buckled down and got serious about writing in 2010 after my dad died.  My dad was a great inspiration to me and my biggest cheerleader where my writing was concerned. I wish he had lived to see me complete my first novel.

I have published two books in the same series.  Tripped Up Love is book one in The New Ever After Series and The New Ever After is book two.  They are both contemporary romances.

Do you write in multiple genres or just one? If just one, do you ever consider straying outside your genre?

I am primarily working on romance novels but would love to write a middle grade novel for girls.

Are you a plotter or do you write from the seat of your pants?

Someone asked this question on Twitter and I accidentally answered that I was a panther.  I got quite a reaction! I am a pantser.  I write from the seat of my pants…sort of.  I write whatever comes to me until the story takes shape in my mind.  Then I sit down and write a detailed outline.  I usually need to write about 5000 words or more to “feel” the characters before the outline is clear.

What is a typical writing day like for you?

I get up at 5:30 every morning to write and work until I need to get myself and the kids ready for school.  I usually spend my afternoons after I teach preschool writing.  Sometimes I sneak in a little time after the kids have gone to bed.  I carry my journal around and scribble notes all day long.  My friends have spotted me sitting in my van in parking lots all over town jotting down ideas before they leave me.

Who do you love to read? Favorite authors, favorite books?

I love to read all types of books.  I am primarily a reader of fiction and love romance novels. I am also a fan of Young Adult novels. I do read a fair amount of non-fiction though.  My most favorite recent read is Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.  It was devastatingly beautiful.  I love Colleen Hoover’s books and adored Lori Otto’s Lost and Found trilogy.

What is something you'd like to accomplish in your writing career next year?

I have been working on a book for the last three years.  I have amassed over 500 pages of writing and finally know where I want the book to go.  I would like to finish that book.

If you could have one paranormal ability, what would it be?

Well, if you consider reading auras to be a paranormal ability I can do that! I also think I have a bit of ESP.  But if I could have any other ability I would like to have a form of telekinesis that would allow me to make sandwiches and pack lunches with my mind.

If you could keep a mythical/ paranormal creature as a pet, what would you have?

A unicorn, for sure! I have been fascinated with them since I was a young girl.

Tell us a little about your latest release.

Tripped Up Love is a contemporary romance.  Heather Meadows lost the only love she’s ever known. Her perfect, yet ordinary life was turned upside down the day her 38-year-old husband died. Her happily ever after was gone in the blink of an eye. Heather’s life becomes the subject of scrutiny and pity as she tries to pick up the pieces of her shattered world and raise her three children on her own. In the midst of suburbia and gossipy neighbors, Heather tries to re-build a normal life. Little does she know she’s about to trip into a new adventure. An adventure she could never have imagined. Where will her misstep take her and how will Heather handle the prying eyes of those around her?

What is something that you absolutely can't live without? (Other than family members)

Caffeine!

Could you ever co author a book with someone? If so, who would you choose, and what would you write?

I don’t think I could. I tend to feel like my books are real and I can’t imagine inserting another person’s reality into them.


If you could spend a day with anyone from history, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you do? What would you ask them?

I would love to meet Princess Di. I have always been fascinated with her and with the Royals.  We’d meet in a quiet coffee shop off the beaten path in London and I’d ask her to give me the inside scoop on what it was like to be a member of the Royal family.

What are some of your other hobbies outside of writing?

I love doing anything I can with my family and I thoroughly enjoy relaxing with my friends. I run a little and walk a lot.  I am also obsessed with Adam Levine and would consider him a hobby!

If you were on the staff to have a book adapted to movie, what would you pick?

I would pick Tripped Up Love and have Adam Levine star as Peter.

What is a talent you wish you had, but don't?

I would love to be able to draw.  I was drawing a picture of a horse in preschool today and it ended up looking more like a dinosaur.

Favorite color?

Green

Weather: Hot or cold?

Am I allowed to say neither? I much prefer a 70 degree day to a sweltering summer day or a freezing cold winter day.


Favorite place to read?

I love to read in the tub but that is hard to do with an e-reader so I also have a paper book and an e-book at the ready.

Favorite meal

I love any type of Thai food – especially green curry.

Favorite non-alcoholic drink.

It’s a tie.  I love chai but I also love a fountain coke.

If you could travel anywhere and do anything, no limits or money holding you back, where would you go?
I would like to spend more time getting lost in Europe. I’ve only been to Paris and London and I would love to do some more exploring.  Maybe we’d rent a chateau in a little village, homeschool the kids and I could write and my husband could paint.










Heather Meadows lost the only love she’s ever known. Her perfect, yet ordinary life was turned upside down the day her 38-year-old husband died. Her happily ever after was gone in the blink of an eye. Heather’s life becomes the subject of scrutiny and pity as she tries to pick up the pieces of her shattered world and raise her three children on her own. In the midst of suburbia and gossipy neighbors, Heather tries to re-build a normal life. Little does she know she’s about to trip into a new adventure. An adventure she could never have imagined. Where will her misstep take her and how will Heather handle the prying eyes of those around her?




Author Bio:

Julie Farley is the author of Tripped Up Love and The New Ever After.  She lives in Richmond, VA with her husband, four rarely quiet children and her 50 pound lap dog. Julie spends her days writing and teaching preschool. She chronicles her adventures on her blog atjuliefarley.com and is working on the next book in The New Ever After Series. 

Connect with Julie!

 twitter: juliefarley1
 website: www.juliefarley.com

Buy the Book!
Don't miss the sequel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment