Monday, June 24, 2013

Chantel Rhondeau Interview + Crime & Passion Review


A decorated police officer, more intent on justice than following the letter of the law, lands in trouble when a schoolteacher finds a dead body on the beach.

Officer Donovan Andrews knows how to have a good time—ask any woman in town. But when it comes to men abusing their wives or children, Donovan takes it upon himself to make them regret it.

Madeline Scott is unlucky in love. All she wants is a quiet place to heal, away from cheating, womanizing men. However, her life is far from peaceful once she stumbles across the body and witnesses someone fleeing the scene.

Terror spreads in Pleasant View when the small community hears a killer is on the loose. All evidence points to Donovan, and he realizes someone is trying to frame him. When troubling suspicions from his past surface, even fellow officers believe he’s guilty. Madeline might be the only person who can clear his name, but first he has to win her trust.

The body count rises and no one is safe. The murderer makes it clear Madeline is next. Soon, Donovan’s whole world is focused on protecting her and keeping himself out of prison. The more time he spends with her, the harder it is to fight his growing attraction. Since she’s been burned by love, convincing Madeline he’s interested in something more than hot sex may prove harder than keeping her alive.



Welcome to my top on this tour! I have the author here for an interview, and I will also be revealing my review for the book!




tell me about yourself, and your writing.
I'm a mom of two wonderful kids who are both going to be in college next year, so writing will hopefully keep me sane in a quiet house.
How long have you been writing? How many published books do you have, and what genres?
I've been writing or taking writing classes for the last seven years. I just started publishing last summer and now have two titles available and one I'm currently working on. All my books are romantic suspense, though Always & Forever is more suspense and Crime & Passion is more of a mystery.

Do you write in multiple genres or just one? If just one, do you ever consider straying outside your genre?
So far I'm only writing romantic suspense. I've tried to write fantasy books, but something didn't gel. I love the romantic suspense genre because I'm all about happy endings, but I also love a little thrill in what I'm reading.  
Are you a plotter or do you write from the seat of your pants?
I write from the seat of my pants all the way. My muse gets bored if she already knows the entire story, so we have to discover what will happen next together.

What is a typical writing day like for you?
Well, I have to work the day job (medical transcription), so writing time comes early in the mornings before work and in the evenings after dinner. Family time is very important; I write in the living room using my laptop amid the chaos that is my house so I'm always available to them. Usually, there is a cat or two staking their claim on the laptop or my recliner.

Who do you love to read? Favorite authors, favorite books?
So many! For romantic suspense, my top author is Jayne Ann Krentz (and her historical romances as Amanda Quick). I enjoy Mary Higgins Clark for mysteries. Lately, I've ventured into the world of Indie Authors and I'm finding a lot of gems that way. Favorites there are Travis Casey (humor), Rachelle Ayala (romance), and Michele Shriver (women's lit).

What is something you'd like to accomplish in your writing career next year?
I'm hoping to publish two books in the coming year and finish the first draft on a third. Also, I'm considering writing some shorter novellas; hoping that isn't too ambitious, but once the kids go to college, I'll have a lot more free time.

If you could have one paranormal ability, what would it be?
I would love to fly!

If you could keep a mythical/ paranormal creature as a pet, what would you have?
Dragon, hands down. It'd have to be a smart dragon with telepathic abilities though like Anne McCaffrey's in her Pern Series.

Tell us a little about your latest release.
Police officer Donovan Andrews finds himself in a world of trouble after a new resident in town finds a body on the beach. Madeline Scott is sexy and snarky and everything he didn't know he was looking for in a woman. However, since she is the only witness, Donovan's Chief deems her off limits. Evidence comes to light and Donovan becomes the prime suspect in the murder. Madeline's his only chance to clear his name, but she's not sure she can trust him. The body count rises and the killer targets Madeline. Suddenly, Donovan's whole world is centered on protecting her while keeping himself out of prison.

What is something that you absolutely can't live without? (Other than family members)
I am addicted to the energy drink Diet Rockstar. I know they're horrible for you, but I drink at least one a day...

Could you ever co author a book with someone? If so, who would you choose, and what would you write?
Since I don't pre-plot at all, others might find it difficult to work with me.

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you do? What would you ask them?
Susan B. Anthony...or really any of the women involved in the woman-suffrage movement. I'd love to just chat with them and find out how they had the courage to keep going and fighting for what they believed in. I admire them so much. Women today have things so much better because of them. Besides hearing first-hand about their experiences, I'd love to thank them.
What are some of your other hobbies outside of writing?
My family really loves to play cards; Pinochle is our favorite, though it is getting hard to find people who know how to play that. We also go bowling a lot. In the fall, I'll be on two bowling leagues this year.

If you were on the staff to have a book adapted to movie, what would you pick?
That's hard. I actually am not a big TV person. I much prefer to read. The movies I most like are horror movies, so I'll say Duma Key by Stephen King, since that is my top pick for horror books.

What is a talent you wish you had, but don't?
Singing. I LOVE to sing...I just don't have any talent.

Favorite color?
Purple.

Weather: Hot or cold?
Tropical :-)

Favorite place to read?
Curled up in bed.

Favorite meal
Roast beef with potatoes and homemade gravy.

Favorite non-alcoholic drink.
Lemonade.

If you could travel anywhere and do anything, no limits or money holding you back, where would you go?
Any island with a gorgeous beach, maybe Fiji or Hawaii. And then a side trip to Paris.



Review Rating: 4 LIGHTNING BOLTS

Review: A great mix of romance, suspense, and finding love again, Crime and Passion kept me turning the pages. The pacing is well done! I was intrigued throughout the story about how things were going to play out.


Donovan and Madeline are well rounded characters. They both have their strong points, and of course have their flaws and weaknesses. They compliment the other very well, and their romance was very believable and enjoyable to read about. I like the author's writing style and voice.  I'd love to see what else she has in store for us!

The amount of mystery in this story is just right. I was kept guessing until the ultimate reveal! Just when I thought I figured things out, something else threw me way off course. That's what makes a great suspense type story great for me- never knowing. And that's exactly what the author did.  If you're looking for a great romance, some mystery, and a fast paced read, I recommend Crime & Passion.





Author Bio:

Chantel once thought a great mystery or fantasy book with strong romantic themes was the highest level of reading bliss. After reading her first romantic suspense novel, she never looked back. Before long, the need to create her own stories took over. She spends her daytime in the clinical profession of medical transcriptionist, but her passion is in the blissful hours she spends with her characters in the evenings.

Chantel lives in the western United States. When she isn’t writing, she loves playing cards with her family, bowling, or snuggling with her lazy kitties.
 
Connect with Chantel!

Find me on Twitter and Facebook 

Buy the Book!


AmazonSmashwordsKOBOARe, and Goodreads



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping close out the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for being my last stop on the tour and for the great interview and review! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete