Thursday, May 9, 2013

Interview with Sarah Cass


Please help me welcome Sarah Cass to the blog! Today I'm sitting down and asking some deep dark...okay, no not really, but I have Sarah here for an interview, so I hope you'll leave a comment!



Tell me about yourself, and your writing.

I’m a mom of 3 special needs kids (2 w/ Cystic Fibrosis, 1 with autism). They fill my days with challenges, and my mind with panic and worry. We all live in hickville (i.e. Indiana), in the perfect, ideal neighborhood in a tiny little house.  I’d kill for a bigger house, but I’d never want to leave this neighborhood.
Writing is my release. I don’t like to break-down in real life, in fact, I rarely do. I’m the silver-lining girl and most of the time I’m okay with that—because I can sit down in front of my computer and create these worlds and these characters and somehow by living through them, I’m releasing all of my own stresses and worries.


How long have you been writing? How many published books do you have, and what genres?


I’ve been writing forever. I enjoyed it in high school, I dabbled in college. I didn’t seriously start thinking of trying to write as a career until about seven years ago, though.
After making my way through the nightmare of a first novel and trying to get an agent and then creating my first sold series…it’s now all I can think about doing.

Do you write in multiple genres or just one? If just one, do you ever consider straying outside your genre?


People are capable of sticking to one genre? How? LOL.
I am all over the map. My two books out now (and my next two books, as they continue a series) are all Historical Western Romance. However, I have a Historical Fiction short in one anthology, and have a horror short due out this year in another anthology.
I’ve also written contemporary romance (on sub now), a very dark paranormal romance (that I will be going Indie with, as most pub’s won’t touch it because it’s so dark), I have a historical western paranormal romance in the works, and a steampunk dark urban fantasy I’m also working on. Oh, and my dragon urban fantasy that I’ll be turning into a serial novel, as well.
I don’t like to be stuck in one place. I like to bust down those barriers, mix genres in funny ways.


Are you a plotter or do you write from the seat of your pants?


I’ve always shouted “PANTSER” in response to this question every time it’s come up. I meant it and I owned it.
These days I’m not so sure that’s what I am any longer. I’m a hybrid. For my shorter stories I try to plan and plot to some extent, because I know my word count is limited and I like to cut back on the surprises. However, if I know I’m going for broke with a full length novel (especially a series) I like to pants it all the way and let the story lead me on whatever crazy train it decides to take.


What is a typical writing day like for you?


I get up at 6AM during the week and get my girls ready for school, my teenager kicked out the door, and my husband off to work. If it’s a good writing day, I get to sit down around 8-8:30 and crank out a couple hours worth of work. All while doing laundry, cleaning house (not as much as I should), and all of that. After lunch I reserve for blogging and graphics work (I like to make my own covers, and do my own blog design…the exception to the cover rule being the cover for Masked Hearts).
No matter what, if I’ve had time to write during the day or not, it’s the night time that is my big push. Once the kids and the husband are in bed and the house is quiet again, I always get word count in. Not as much as when I used to be able to stay up until 2 or 3AM…but still, I get my words in.

Who do you love to read? Favorite authors, favorite books?


I like to read anything and everything. I tend to avoid the “OMG YOU MUST READ IT” popular books of the moment (I still haven’ t read the Hunger Games, it took me YEARS to agree to read Harry Potter, and I disliked immensely another series that I was pushed to write…but I shall not name the YA paranormal series).
I grew up loving the Little House series and read them more times than you can probably guess before I graduated high school.
These days I enjoy a good paranormal or historical. I like books that, like mine, cross genres a bit…I have always enjoyed a well-written mystery. I don’t have to read romance, but I enjoy it. These days my e-readers (I have one of each) have a little bit of everything on them. From quick reads to monster-length books…in just about any genre you can think of. My tastes run as eclectic as my own writing.
Right now my favorites are:
Kerrianne Coombes Demon Tales (I just started this series last night, and I’m hooked)
Jennifer James – I’m not a huge smut addict, but I have to get each of hers…good smut+good story, every time.
Harry Potter series – I admit, first time around I didn’t “get” it. This time, I’m enjoying it a lot more.
Edgar Allan Poe – If you read my Dominion Falls Series, you’ll see that I gave this morbid affection for Poe to Jane. His works make many appearances in the stories.
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick – a dark gothic romance I read a couple of years ago. If the genre isn’t your thing you’d never enjoy it, but I did.
The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs – I’m a total fan. Haven’t been able to get the newest release yet, but that’s because I’m delaying gratification knowing that my wait for another book could be terribly long.
Ooh, and Wicked as they Come by Delilah S. Dawson. I really enjoyed that one.

What is something you'd like to accomplish in your writing career next year?


Well, of course I have the dream of having a best-seller. I’d love for my Dominion Falls series to take off like gangbusters…
So, what I’d like to accomplish in my career during this next year is to build up a fan base. I’m still pretty early in my career—even though I’ve been writing for 7 years, I just got published in February, so I’m working on that fan base. I’d also like to see myself finishing more books, like all the ones that I have on my plate right now (which is, 8, I believe), so that next year I can really have another year like this one, with as many books coming out as I have coming out this year, maybe even more.

If you could have one paranormal ability, what would it be?


Oh, I don’t like this question, because I can never choose. I think, I guess, that I would like to be a shifter…maybe it seems lame, but I’ve always loved my shifters in my PNR.

If you could keep a mythical/ paranormal creature as a pet, what would you have?

You’re just trying to stump me, aren’t you? Honestly, I don’t think that I’d want any as a pet, that would seem cruel. But I’d like to see some of them.


Tell us a little about your latest release.


Masked Hearts is a Historical Western Romance set in 1877, in a traveling wild west show.
Minnie Woodward lives a lie. After barely surviving the Bear River Massacre she’s lived in the white world of her guardian Mister Rawlins, her life debt keeping her tied there. The last thing she needs is Roy’s attempts to gain her favor. Her fate’s sealed. She’s never believed in hope, and not even Roy can make her start.

Roy Ornum saves Minnie every night in the traveling Wild West show. The job he took to break his gambling habit brought him a new addiction – her. He knows she doesn’t want to be rescued, but maybe he does. She’s the key to a past he lost, one he wants to find again.

As the two grow closer old wounds are reopened and their burgeoning trust is shattered. When lives hang in the balance of their choices they’ll need to work together. Otherwise everything will be lost before hope can be found.

What is something that you absolutely can't live without? (Other than family members)


My computer. I’ve got a horrible addiction to writing and the internet. Just ask hubby, it’s true.


Could you ever co author a book with someone? If so, who would you choose, and what would you write?


I actually AM co-authoring a book. It’s an UF dystopian paranormal story called Escaping Humanity. My best friend, Mary Terrani, and I are co-writing it together. We created these characters years ago, but are just now getting our act together to form a cohesive book around them. It’s really exciting, but fitting it into our busy schedules is our biggest challenge right now.


If you could spend a day with anyone from history, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you do? What would you ask them?


Hehe. This question is one I love because my answers are always a bit fun. I stink at just picking one, so here’s a sampling of some of the people I’d have to choose from.
Hugh Jackman – because…hello. What would I ask him? To perform for me…the guy can sing and dance and…hello. (yes, this is my fun and silly answer)
Laura Ingalls Wilder – because I did admire her and love her stories for so many years (and still do, even if I’ve moved on from reading them All.The.Time…I’m still encouraging my girls to read them and love them as I did). What would I ask her? So much about her real life, and family. I know the books are a glossy cover image suitable for children.
Edgar Allan Poe – I wouldn’t ask him anything…I’d just let him talk.

What are some of your other hobbies outside of writing?


I’m a singer, and I used to be a dancer. These days the bodies gone and I haven’t much opportunities for true dance, but I do still love them. I did community theater for a time, too.
Other than that, I knit & crochet. I sew. Anything keeping the creative juices going is me.


What is something you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet. Why not?


You mean besides taking my kids to Disney? (which I haven’t because $ isn’t my friend).
I do have something I’ve wanted to do for a while now. It’s a secret desire that I’ve not even told my husband about. I want to try sky diving. The thought scares the bejeebers out of me, but I want to try it.

If you were on the staff to have a book adapted to movie, what would you pick?

I’m guessing you mean besides my own? ;)
Oooh, that’s a tough one because so many books suffer the chopping block when they’re put on the screen. I don’t know that I would be able to pick one, and nothing right now comes screaming to mind that I MUST see it on screen…I learned long ago that the movie in my mind is sooo much better.

What is a talent you wish you had, but don't?

Money management. ~snort~
No, you mean talent talent? Hm…whistling. I can whistle straight most of the time, but I can’t whistle a tune.
Favorite color?

Orange. Purple. No, Orange. Purple…um…both.

Weather: Hot or cold?

Cold. I can always add layers.

Favorite place to read?

In the tub.

Favorite meal

Chicken and Dumplings

Favorite non-alcoholic drink.

Dr. Pepper from the fountain (another addiction of mine)

If you could travel anywhere and do anything, no limits or 

money holding you back, where would you go?
  1. With kids – a big old RV to ramble around the states in (so hubby doesn’t flip out about the long drives, he doesn’t ride in cars well)…ending in Orlando with a full on 2 week stay to hit all the parks and the ocean.
  2. Without kids – New York City for weeks on end. I’d do tons of shopping, spend days just going around the city with my camera and soaking up the atmosphere (boy do I miss it)…and I’d see every Broadway show I could.

*~*~*



Blurb:
Minnie Woodward lives a lie. After barely surviving the Bear River Massacre she’s lived in the white world of her guardian Mister Rawlins, her life debt keeping her tied there. The last thing she needs is Roy’s attempts to gain her favor. Her fate’s sealed. She’s never believed in hope, and not even Roy can make her start.

Roy Ornum saves Minnie every night in the traveling Wild West show. The job he took to break his gambling habit brought him a new addiction – her. He knows she doesn’t want to be rescued, but maybe he does. She’s the key to a past he lost, one he wants to find again.

As the two grow closer old wounds are reopened and their burgeoning trust is shattered. When lives hang in the balance of their choices they’ll need to work together. Otherwise everything will be lost before hope can be found.


Buy Links:
Sweet Cravings Website - http://bit.ly/12z5EuC
Amazon - http://amzn.to/ZYH9CP
Barnes & Noble - http://bit.ly/18a4Gr7
All Romance Ebooks - http://bit.ly/12MaZ0K

BIO:

Sarah Cass’s world is regularly turned upside down by her three special-needs kids and loving mate, so she breaks genre barriers, dabbling in horror, straight fiction, and urban fantasy. An ADD tendency leaves her with a variety of interests that include singing, dancing, crafting, cooking, and being a photographer. She fights through the struggles of the day, knowing the battles are her crucible and though she may emerge scarred, she’s also stronger. Now officially multi-published, she’s still working on bringing new stories to fill out her year and your reading lists. While busy creating worlds and characters as real to her as her own family, she leads an active online life with her blog, Redefining Perfect, which gives a real and sometimes raw glimpses into her life and art.



Where to find me:





1 comment:

  1. Good interview - I like the sound of Masked Hearts - love western romance and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete