Friday, April 19, 2013

Spotlight: Reckless Abandon




BLURB: How far would you go for love? Young Adult fiction Author, Shaw McLeary, returns from Whole Foods to discover her husband, Danny, is gone. So is their stash of cash, his clothes, passport, and her wedding rings. He took off in a hurry and left her behind. While trying to piece it all together Shaw witnesses a cop’s murder in her home. Determined not to become the next victim, she flees. She fears dirty cops are involved in Danny’s disappearance. There's only one person she can trust to help her - JJ Anderson, Private Investigator. Also, her ex-fiancé.

A retired Phoenix cop turned PI, Shaw hopes JJ will be inclined to take her case. Despite his resentment for how their relationship ended, he agrees to help her track down leads on Danny. They chase the clues from Phoenix to Manhattan to upstate New York. In such close quarters Shaw finds it difficult to maintain a professional distance from her first real love. Then what happens if she finds Danny? Can she still love a man who abandoned her or is she too drawn to fixing her past mistake to let go of JJ again?





With the box in my hand I silently picked my keys off the hook while I pulled back the side of my hobo bag with the other hand. I slipped the box into my bag and I heard a dragging sound and the booming voice of a man in my foyer.
“I’ll take care of this.”
“What do you want to do about his wife?”
“Find her.” He said. “Check down the hall.”
My heart burst out of my body and I almost squealed out loud. Purse on my shoulder I pushed the door open, stepped through it and prayed they’d both be down the hall and not hear the car start. For the past year I’d begged Danny to convert our carport into a garage. I’d never been so happy before this moment to have a husband who was so cheap. I slid behind the wheel and took a deep breath as I turned the key and pulled my door shut. Without warming the engine I put the car in reverse and hit the gas at full speed. Unlike in the movies my tires didn’t squeal but I struggled to maintain control of the vehicle as I went careening into the street. I slammed on the brakes and jammed the car into drive.
Two men appeared at the front of my house, one came from the front stoop and the other was standing in my carport. It seemed like slow motion even though I knew it was less than a second before I put my foot on the gas. The one in the carport reached toward his side under his sport coat and I assumed he was reaching for a gun. Would it be the same gun he’d just used to shoot a police officer? I didn’t stick around to find out and in a flash I jammed on the gas pedal. This time my tires squealed as the rubber took a second to catch up to the road.
The man who had been standing by my front door was in my rearview mirror in an instant. His arm extended. I ducked and screamed as I felt a shift in the back of my car and heard the ping of a bullet hitting what I assumed was my trunk.




Author Bio:   



Hi, my name is Jenn Flynn-Shon and I’m the Author of two books (Ripple the TwineReckless Abandon), a Chapbook (Trying for the Moon), multiple Zines, and Randomness and Lunacy (a digital-journal blog).
I’ve been writing since age eleven and began penning fiction by age thirteen. My first publication was a poem published under a pen name in Bop Magazine in 1989. Since then I’ve had articles and interviews published online and in print.

I’m a two-time winning participant in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) (2009, 2010), an active member of the Scottsdale Society of Women Writers and Arizona Authors Association.

When I make time to relax I love to hang out with my husband at our home in Phoenix, AZ, explore the country on road trips, watch my Boston sports teams, share laughs with friends and family, and read everything from blogs to novels. I make a point to write daily, and I’m a shameless self-promoter.

Connect with Jenn!

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this book! Thanks for the excerpt and spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for featuring my book on your blog!

    ReplyDelete