Friday, March 22, 2013

Guest Blogger Tolulope Popoola


Fictional Characters I’d Like to Meet

Sometimes you read a book and find the characters so intriguing that you wish you could get to meet them in person. Or maybe you get so drawn into a movie or TV series because of a particular character. I’m going to talk about some of my favourite characters from books that I’ve read that I really wish I could meet and have a chat with.

From classic literature: I wish I could meet the March sisters from Little Women. I read this book over and over again when I was in my early teens and I felt like I grew up with the sisters. I loved all of them, even Amy who I found a bit silly. Meg reminded me of myself, because I’m the first of three sisters, and I liked Jo for her tomboyish ways and literary talents. Sweet and gentle Beth also reminded me of my quiet, introverted self. I used to wish they were my neighbours, and I could go and join in with their games.

From contemporary literature: I wish I could meet Clare and Henry DeTamble from The Time Traveller’s Wife. I would like to ask them questions about how they managed to keep track of Henry’s coming and going. I also want to know why they kept his time-travelling a secret, especially as it wasn’t something he could control. I’ve also wondered how that kind of ability would work in real life.

From Nigerian literature: I would like to meet Olanna and Kainene, the twin sisters from Half of a Yellow Sun. Chimamanda did a great job with painting a picture of who they were, but I feel like there’s still more to them than the reader was told. At times, Olanna was portrayed as weak, but she also showed surprising moments of strength. I would like to ask her why she forgave Odenigbo so easily, and even adopted his child. It didn’t make much sense to me that she would do that for a man she wasn’t even married to, at the time. Kainene was quite a complicated character as well. We didn’t get to find out why she and her sister drew apart at the beginning of the story. I would also like to ask Kainene why she stayed with Richard (why was she attracted to him in the first place?) after she found about about him and Olanna.

Finally, I would love to meet Lola from my novel, Nothing Comes Close. She would be a great friend to have. I would love to hang out with her and ask her about her questions about her friends and her relationship with Wole, and what she imagines their future would be like.



 BLURB: Confident, sassy, career girl, Lola meets cool, handsome, unpredictable hunk, Wole at a party in London. He pushes all the right buttons for her, and sparks fly. Wole is also irresistibly drawn to Lola, and before long, they get together in a wonderful romance. But Wole is not all that he seems, and he is holding back some dark secrets.
Things start to unravel when Wole’s past begins to catch up with him and Lola has to decide if Wole is worth the trouble that threatens to overwhelm her. Find out in this captivating book if their love will overcome the trials of a murder investigation, an arrest, a meddling relative and a trip halfway across the world, or whether they both give up and go their separate ways.
Author Bio:

Tolulope Popoola was born in Lagos, Nigeria. She moved to England for her university education where she studied BA Accounting and Business Economics and a Masters in Finance and Investment. She started blogging in 2006, which rekindled her love for writing and telling stories. A few writing classes and an online fiction series soon followed and Tolulope quit her Accounting career to write full-time. She now writes short stories, flash fiction, and articles for many print and online magazines. Nothing Comes Close is her first novel. Tolulope lives in London with her husband and daughter.


You can interact with Tolulope online via:

Where to buy the ebook: 
Kindle USKindle UK, Kindle Europe (Germany,  FranceItalySpain)
To buy the paperback



No comments:

Post a Comment