Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Guest Blogger Romi Moondi + Review

Hello and welcome to Storm Goddess Book Reviews & More!  With me today is author Romi Moondi, and I have a guest blog from Romi. I hope you'll leave a comment, letting us know you were here. I'm now going to turn the blog over to Romi.



Hi Nikki, thanks for letting me guest-post on your blog! You are brave to leave the topic up to me, because my craziness knows no bounds. Today I’ll keep it normal though, and talk about a regular feature in my life:
OBSESSIONS.
(cue ominous music)
I’ve written two edgy rom-coms in my series now (do you like how I’ve made up my own genre?), and I’ve realized that whether I’m first-drafting or re-writing, I always do certain “things,” and if I don’t do these things, I stare blankly at a wall, I browse on the Internet too much, or I break into a cold sweat, fearing I’ll never have the inspiration to write another word.
Here are those things:
1.       I must listen to the theme from the movie “The Holiday” (“Maestro” by Hans Zimmer), over and over and over while I write the first draft of each book. Like for six hours in a row, as an example (minus bathroom breaks). I will also listen to it in less severe obsessive quantities (ten times in a row, before switching to something else) during my late night re-writes. This song is just….beyond essential. I can’t explain it.

2.       I must watch bits and pieces of the first “Sex and the City” movie before getting pumped for each writing session. Particularly the parts when Carrie is trying on wedding dresses, then later re-asserting her independence after she gets jilted (like when she dyes her hair brown), and then even later when she’s giving Miranda advice on whether Steve should get another chance. It doesn’t even have anything to do with the stories I end up writing, but those parts in particular…I just have to. Sometimes I think it’s the setting, since there are scenes from each of my books in New York; but no, I will watch these parts again when I write my next book, even though it doesn’t have a single scene from New York. Of that, I am certain.

3.       I need to take days off work and sit in a particular Starbucks in downtown Toronto facing the window so I can stare at people intermittently, in-between whatever parts of the book I need to work on.  It doesn’t matter if I’m working on the first draft, the re-write, or the final edit, but if, at some point, I don’t take a day off work to stare out the window as people go by, I am convinced the final product of my book won’t be good enough! I know this.
I’m not sure if other writers have these obsessive tendencies, but it can’t just be me, right? All writers are crazy! Haha (nervous laugh). Maybe it’s a superstition, like always putting on lucky underwear, except my superstition is less gross than heavily-used under-things.
Okay then.
Does anybody else have obsessive quirks, whether in regards to writing or anything else?
Please share so I can feel like less of a freak…thanks!
Romi




BLURB: What's a girl to do when she meets the Internet man of her dreams, he's better than she expected, but he lives an ocean away? And let's not forget her parents,who are trying to lock her up in arranged-marriage doom...

In this fast-paced story of culture clash and romantic pursuits, there's a big fat Indian wedding, the struggle to keep a long-distance flame alive, and an unexpected mystery man who could set a new course in motion. 

Review Rating: 3.5 Lightning Bolts


Review:  Last Minute Love is the second book in the Year of the Chick Series. Now, I wish I had known so I could have read the first. A lot of things didn't make sense to me, until I realized I was thrown smack dab in the middle of a series.  Despite that, I really like Romi Moondi's writing. She has a voice that's sassy and fun. The story line is interesting, bringing in muti cultural aspects to the book. It's fun and entertaining. Now I want to go back and read Year of the Chick so that I understand the origins of the book.  

If you like a good, fun read, try out Romi Moondi, but I'd advise starting at the beginning. 





Author Bio:      

I am Canadian, and here are some strange personal facts:

-I wore denim-top-to-bottom in high school (there is a direct inverse relationship between how much denim I wore and how few tongues were launched down my throat at school dances...or anywhere in high school at all).
-A homeless lady in New York once told me "You're just a bitch on vacation with no money!"
-I always hated those insufferable couples who would cuddle and make out on the subway...until I became half of one. But now I'm back to being none of one so I hate them again.

The thing I love most in the world is writing. When I first started publishing on Amazon it was my "crazy" humour side ("The Book of Awful," and "NOT Love Poems For Real Life"). Since then, everything has focused on my "Year of the Chick" series, because it's the most important thing to me in the world right now. I guess that would tend to happen, when your writing is inspired by real life, including all the satisfaction and risks that come from that.

My "Year of the Chick" series can be described as "edgy rom-com," which helps me account for the blunt conversations and mortifying family moments in the book ;-).
Book 3 in the "Year of the Chick" series will be written and released in 2013; until then I have some adventures to go on!
 

Connect with Romi!



Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/RomiMoondi
Twitter: http:///www.twitter.com/romimoondi
Blog: http://romimoondi.wordpress.com


Buy the Book!


Last-Minute Love (on Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/Last-Minute-Love-Year-Chick-ebook/dp/B0089IG9BY/ref=la_B005W65KWK_1_3_title_0_main?ie=UTF8&qid=1347224655&sr=1-3
Last-Minute Love (on B&N): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/last-minute-love-romi-moondi/1111816576?ean=2940033288311
(Also available for Kobo and iTunes!)
Additional note: "Year of the Chick" which is book one in the series, is available for free at all e-tailers!

1 comment:

  1. I can't think of any particular habits I have to do - well except for when I get ready for bed and have to brush my teeth and then dental floss...lol...Last Minute Love sounds like fun - thanks for the heads up on Year of the Chick - got it and will give this series a try.

    ReplyDelete