Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: Hell on Wheels


Book Title:   Hell on Wheels    

Author:  Julie Ann Walker

Publisher: Sourcebooks

Genre: Romantic suspense, contemporary

Length- 380 pages

Reviewer name: Nikki

Rating: 3 Lightning Bolts

Blurb:

HOLD ON TIGHT…

Ex-Marine Nate “Ghost” Weller is an expert at keeping his cool – and his distance – which makes him one hell of a sniper.  It’s also how he keeps his feeling for Ali Morgan in check.  Sweet, sexy Ali has always revved his engine, but she’s his best friend’s baby sister… and totally off limits.


ROUGH ROAD AHEAD

Ali’s never seen anything sexier than Nate Weller straddling his custom Harley – or the flash of danger in his eyes when she tells him she’s in trouble.  First something happened to her brother, and now’s she’s become the target of some nasty organization.  With Nate, her life in the most capable hands possible – but her heart in another story altogether.


Review:  The first in a new series, Hell on Wheels introduces us to the Black Knights, and to Julie Ann Walker.

   The first scene really grabbed me. It was heartfelt, emotional and touching. I thought: If the rest of the book is like this, I'm set! I loved the concept.

   But to me, it wasn't. It kind of fell flat after that.  While I felt for Nate and Ali, it wasn't enough. Maybe their best qualities didn't shine through enough for me. The suspense wasn't as intense as I imagined it would be.  It turned rather slow and I wondered when the tension would spike again.

 I had more hope for the start of a new suspense series. I am a huge fan of romantic suspense, so when I saw this I was ecstatic. Hell on Wheels just didn't keep my attention. I had to stop and come back.  I do love the author's writing style. If the pace were faster and I felt more in tune with Nate and Ali, or at least one of them, it may have been a better experience for me.

Keep in mind that this is one person's opinion. You may have better luck than I did. If you like romantic suspense, hot men on wheels and in a top secret kind of work, you may like Hell on Wheels.







Paperback and Nook Version on Barnes & Noble

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I bought this book but haven't had a chance to read it yet - I still look forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete